Friday, January 22, 2010

Party with friends

I have been having a lot of fun with my friends lately. On Thursday's, Amanda (one of my bridesmaids) makes dinner and invites everyone over. I have really enjoyed it. Usually, it is just Chloe, Kristin, Amanda and I...and I have started to prefer it to be that way. I doubt that anyone from school reads this, but- just in case- I want to clarify because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I find so many people in my cohort to be very special in my life, but there is something about that small Thursday night group that I just really look forward to being with. Last night, Amanda made some really yummy italian-style chili. Unfortunately, Chloe had to leave early, but Kristin, Amanda and I made silly videos and took silly pictures. It was really special to have that time with friends.

Tonight, Rachel had a housewarming party. That, too, was fun. However, one of the girls there was a bit different...again, I don't want to offend anyone--Rachel in particular---but I thought this might be blog-worthy. I overheard this relatively loud girl talking about "passing the verbal portion, but failing the math portion..." and I automatically assumed that she was referring to the PRAXIS--which Micah took as part of his application process to the Master's of Education program at Fox. I asked the girl about it...trying to make light conversation....but I soon realized that the girl had a bit of trouble regulating herself. Suddenly, she was very loudly going on...and on....and on...about another test she had to take. Apparently it covered everything from ABC's to rocket science and somehow, amazingly, she passed! I actually didn't find it amazing.
Instead, what I found to be amazing was the volume she could speak at and the amount of time she occupied trying to say something that seemed unimportant. I was trying really hard to pay attention and be gracious...but I was getting the feeling that everyone was watching me, smirking, to see how long I could take her ranting. Suddenly, Kristin and Sarah were snickering and I felt that moment of panic: should I do something to get out? what if I am stuck here forever? why isn't anyone saving me!?
Finally, though, someone came up and offered us tea. I broke away from the conversation to hear her say things like: "tea is made from seeds"..."bandages, bandages, bandages"...and "I've never been a parent but I am just as good as one! I can even handle blowouts" I was stupid enough to ask what blowouts were.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA! Sorry.
    I love you, Kim. And I miss you. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with the blog world. :o)

    ReplyDelete